The Guitar Riffs, Themes, Outros of Charlie Christian
Transcriptions of passages such as heads and outros,
• Charlie Christians most popular recording FLYING HOME 1939 rendering
• Charlie Christians most quoted riffs SEVEN COME ELEVEN 1940 aircheck
• Charlie Christian-Lionel Hampton composition SHIVERS 1939 composite
• Charles composed this one just prior to the session A SMO-O-O-OTH ONE 1941 composite
• Charlie Christian-Count Basie composition SHIVERS 1940 master take
(Click on the tune title)
Unlike the solos transcriptions, there were some hypothetical
assumptions made in the tabulation
Charlie Christian transcriptions published by others can be referenced in the Clive Downs Bibliography.
Chord Notations and Fingering Symbols:
The chord names placed above the standard notation are the basic harmony of the tune.
The chord names above the tablature represent the chord changes in Charlie
The symbols used to indicate the left-hand fingering employed on the fingerboard are explained in the following table:
ultimus nota bene:
The music scores are not intended as a
tutorial there are many publications available
solos bibliography) to instruct the novice guitarist. The tablatures in particular
are designed to document the fascinating manner in which Charlie Christian actually played with so much vibrancy and joie de vivre.